Wednesday, August 12, 2009

American Idiots.

So often, I am frustrated with Americans.

I don't have the right answers. I don't think anyone-- not our politicians, doctors, researchers, government, advisers, Ph.D.s, watchdogs-- has the right answers. But what about the skills to find some appropriate solutions to our problems?

And then, someone comes up with something that might-- just might-- work, and angry, belligerent idiots shoot it down for moral issues that disregard most solutions anyway. Ugh. I'm so sick of your morals stomping around on my rights.

However-- in regards to the current crisis in health care reform, all I can think about are the kids. I don't give a rat's ass about all of the people who want to hold on to their health care. Good! Great! Please do! If I still had mine, I would-- I do NOT trust the government to provide healthcare for everyone. Look at what the government does for education. Look at what it does for the military. Priorities are in line right there.

But think about kids.

If every child, of every color, socioeconomic standing, and state of health, received superb health care, free of charge, what would it do for this country? If we provided real nutrition to children in our free breakfast and lunch programs-- not mashed up and bread-coated chicken or white bread and ham sandwiches-- think of how it would change the state of health in this nation. If we were able to provide our kids with the best in medicine, maybe they could have the tools to really figure out this whole tangle for the long term.

Maybe, just maybe, health care reform for our children is the key to improving education so that we may leave future generations with the tools to do better for themselves than we can for ourselves right now.


If you would let me advise Washington, and I don't have all the answers, just one possible path to a solution, I would tell them: provide for our children and we will be OK.

If we're living by human-made rules, we can change human-made rules. We don't have to keep playing the same game the same way.

And that's my 2 cents.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, especially the last blurb. Changing the rules by which I live my life has worked well for me, why not for the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete